Loading... Please wait...

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year’s Traditions

Being from the South I just took it for granted that everyone knew they needed to eat black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck! Eventually, I learned that plenty of people were unaware of this practice and I must say I felt bad for them. Not only on the luck issue but just the fact that black-eyed peas are so tasty!

This year I decided to go a little different route on the preparation of my good-fortune legumes. My husband brought home a recipe a number of years ago for a delectable little dip that puts those peas to a wonderful use. So, I want to share it with you so you can have good luck and tickle your taste buds on the first day of a new decade.

Good Luck Black-eyed Pea Dip

2 cans (15-16 oz.)black-eyed peas (plain, bacon or jalapeno added – your choice), drained



4-5 green onions chopped – be sure and use the green tops, too





8-10 slices of jalapeno, chopped



1 cup of Chow Chow (sweet and spicy relish)

Salt and pepper to taste


Just mix it all up. You’re ready to dip! It’s great immediately on a chip or cracker (Trisket is my favorite) but if you can make it and let it spend time in the fridge with all those flavors mingling…oh my!



Wishing you the very best in 2010! Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Going to make this now! More black-eyed peas tomorrow - double the good luck, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that just sounds wonderful, I'm gonna have to give it a try tomorrow! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love black-eyed peas and will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete




Copyright 2012 Leisure Web. All Rights Reserved.