Loading... Please wait...

Monday, November 26, 2012

Learn to Knook: Rib Stitch Right-Handed


Last year I knitted this little Santa hat for my baby.  There's no pattern, or maybe I cobbled together 2 or 3 patterns and mangled them into something else--there was a lot of sleep deprivation going on at the time, so I don't remember very well.  But I thought I'd show you this  because that is one cute baby, and because, like most hats, it has ribbing and that's what I'm talking about today.


Ribbing helps the hat sit snugly on your head when the crown may be a bit large, or it can let the hat stretch--but not to the point of stretching out the hat--if the crown is a bit too small.  Ribbing is stretchy and forgiving and I like the way it makes nice, orderly rows.  Ribbing holds things in place (think gloves, socks, and hats) and makes a knitted fabric lay flat (think sweaters).  My hat is knitted, but since you can use a Knook to do any knitting stitch you can totally learn the ribbed stitch with the Knook:


Video can also be found here.

If you already know how to knit and purl with your Knook, then you'll have no problem working the rib stitch.  The most difficult thing for me is setting up the knitting after casting on or picking up my stitches.  It helps to say "knit" or "purl" out loud as I'm getting started.  After that, you just follow the pattern the stitches have practically set up for you.  Score!

Ribbing is typically used as the edging for garmets, but I must say that one of my favorite pair of booties from my Mamaw is just ribbed tubes that she knitted flat with doubled yarn and then stitched up.  I know that's not a real pattern, but I think it's a great way to learn this stitch while keeping someone warm.  I'm also hoping that if I make a pair for my husband for Christmas this year, he'll stop dropping unhelpful hints about how much he would love some socks.*   I'm a bit of a chicken about socks.  But not about ribbing!  I love ribbing.  I hope you do, too.  Happy Knooking!

* I love my husband, but I don't think we're at a point in our relationship where I love him enough to learn to knit socks and then make one for his Size 13W feet--and then do it all over again for his other foot.  Maybe for our silver anniversary.  We can re-name the twenty-fifth year as the wool anniversary.  Which would be fine by me.

1 comment:

  1. Super cute Santa hat!! Knitted socks are great for skating around the house in, if I remember correctly. Of course, they do keep your feet warm too.

    ReplyDelete




Copyright 2012 Leisure Web. All Rights Reserved.