Loading... Please wait...

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Taking a Cotton to this Cowl

I'm crocheting the cowl pattern from the Textured Set in Hats & Scarves, and I'm taking a cotton to it.


And I'm using cotton yarn.  I'm really sorry.  I'm so very sorry about everything.  But I had to do it.  I hope you understand.  Moving on!

I like this Lion Brand Nature's Cotton yarn, and I think 'take a cotton to' is a cute way to say that you like something.  And in this case, it's appropriate.  Nature's Cotton is a soft and fluffy yarn, and it turns out it's a great choice for a cowl.  The cowl's texture comes from alternating single crochet stitches and double crochet stitches, and the rustic fluffiness of the yarn lends even more texture.  It's lovely.


I love a good soft and squishy cowl, and this brown yarn feels pretty perfect to me right now.   This is a fairly small cowl pattern.  When it's finished it will be worn just like this--no looping around a few extra times.  It's pretty simple and adorable.  I think it will be a great accessory.

I feel like I should be saying more about this, but that's it!  Sorry!


I will review a little bit.  I like this cowl pattern.  And I like some other patterns from Hats & Scarves, let me just tell you.  No really, I can tell you!

I loved making the Cuddly Cowl and wish I knew where my daughter has hidden this because I would LOVE to wear it this fall.



I really like the cowl pattern from the Toasty Set and I can't wait to give it someone as a gift.  It was a quick project, and I love how huge it is.

 

 

The Modern Chullo is awesome.  I wasn't especially great at my first attempt at crochet colorwork, but this hat is adorable and its intended recipient loves it.  I want to make one for myself because just look at this thing.


 

This little booklet is full of winning patterns!  I think I'm going to try out at least one scarf pattern from this book, and I know for sure that I'm going to include this textured cowl as another great pattern when I finish it.  

8 comments:

  1. I love all of your cowls and the hat also. You've done a great job. I will look for this book to try. Tell me, what is the real purpose of a cowl vs. a scarf. Is one less warm then the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There have been times when I thought about working on a pattern from this book for a post and stopped myself because I feel like I've done wayyy too many of these projects and I don't want people to get tired of hearing about it. It's got some good ones!
      I think the cowl v. scarf is just preference. A short cowl just kind of sits there, but a long one can be looped around your head a bunch of times and can be just as layered as a scarf. Some people like to wear scarves a bunch of different ways, and some people prefer cowls because you just throw it on and go.

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to see someone else working with cotton! I love hooking with cotton yarn. I am allergic to wool so that eliminates a whole category of yarns for me. :( But, as I live in the deep South, wool is not exactly a practical......nor comfortable......choice for 9 or 10 months out of the year anyway! Cotton yarn is very deep South friendly! And it's not just for washcloths and potholders any more! I've substituted cotton in a variety of patterns with great success. So hats off to you for taking the plunge! And stop apologizing! The cowl is lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, yes! Cotton is the best for hot weather. I love using it for bag patterns, especially. Sometimes I worry that my jokes are only funny in my head--especially when it's a play on words. But thanks for the kind words, and hooray for cotton substitutes!

      Delete
  3. Can you tell me which item shown in the book is the one you are using for the gray Cowl you posted?
    I'd like to try this and I'm a novice crocheter.
    You stated it is JUST single and double crochets.
    Hope to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, it's the cowl part of the Textured Set. There's a beginning chain and then you work single crochet and double crochet stitches. Honestly, you're supposed to work a half-double crochet stitch at the beginning of every row as well. But I forgot to do it several times and everything turned out fine. The textured created by the mixed stitches covers a multitude of mistakes. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. With that much instruction - I'll give it a whirl, I want to make my kitty's a new blanket so they leave mine alone ;) they LOVE texture.
    I bought a skein of the Lion Brand Natural Cotton today.
    Thank you for your help

    ReplyDelete




Copyright 2012 Leisure Web. All Rights Reserved.